To apply for a Graduate Assistantship, complete a Graduate Assistantship application and submit an updated resume.
Please contact the office listed below, if interested in their Graduate Assistantship position.
Tuition waiver and hourly rate is determined by the program or department.
Click the links below for a description of the graduate assistant opportunities.
Posted on 04/23/2018
Administrative/Research Support: The Dean of Students graduate assistant will coordinate outreach programs, assist, develop and execute trainings/programs, manage social media accounts. This position will also assist with a variety of tasks.
Primary duties include:
- Assist DOSO in overall management of intervention and prevention education based programs (CHOICES, Directions, Bystander Intervention, and Ethics)
- Serve as a primary facilitator for sanction based program includes but is not limited to CHOICES, Directions
- Routinely update and record assessment of programs
- Manage associated websites and social media platforms
- Develop and implement specialized programs as directed
Periodic duties include:
- Assists with the development of policies, procedures and training to support DOSO
- Assists with the publications for the office
- Assists with the coverage in the office during peak times as needed
Applicant must currently be working towards a graduate degree at USI. Bachelor's degree in psychology, social work, or similar field and past work in educational or direct service with youth and/or students preferred.
- Oral and written communication skills
- Ability to present to groups
- Judgement and organizational skills
Appointment Start Date: August 2018
For more information, please contact Dr. Laurie Berry.
Posted on 03/29/2018
Administrative/Research Support: To provide administrative support for the Residence Life department in the following areas: hiring, training, supervision, administration, and evaluation of staff. Develop and foster a community congruent with the departmental and university mission, goals, and core values.
Primary duties include:
- Co-supervises the Ruston O’Bannon Area Resident Assistant (RA) staff.Co-Facilitates weekly staff meetings with RA staff.
- Facilitates individual bi-weekly meetings with staff members.
- Support the living learning community programs
- Attend regular meetings with the Area Coordinator staff and departmental staff meetings.
- Attend all training programs for Housing and Residence Life, including periodic divisional meetings and trainings.
- Assist in advising Housing and Residence Life student organizations. (Area Council/ Town Hall)
- Assist Area Coordinators in handling student conduct cases and C.A.R.E. follow-up as needed.
- Assist with departmental projects.
- Assist with Housing and Residence Life programs and events such as housing contract renewal, check in and check out processes, Orientation, Open House and student staff recruitment and selection.
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicant must currently be working towards a graduate degree at USI. Two years related housing and residence life leadership experience is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills required.
- Experience with computers, databases, spreadsheets, and software preferred.
- Strong customer service skills, the ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals, and projecting a positive image of Housing and Residence Life services required.
- Must possess critical thinking skills and ability to handle emergency situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality required.
- Must possess a high level of integrity.
- Must be able to work with a diverse student population.
Appointment Start Date: July 2018
For more information, please contact Dr. Sarah Adams.
Posted on 02/27/2018
Administrative/Research Support: Assist in the development and implementation of programs and services for student organizations and student activities offered by the Student Development Programs and the University of Southern Indiana. Primary duties include:
- Responsible for the activities and management of the Student Involvement Center, including student assistant supervision, facilities and resource management, allocation of space, promotion of services and administrative support in the office. This includes and open house.
- Develop and implement organizational development programs for student organizations, student organization leaders, and faculty/staff advisors.
- Work with the Assistant Director and Program Coordinator to manage programs related to Activities Programming Board, Homecoming and SpringFest.
- Learn and market the EagleSync software to student organizations.
- Create weekly student activities email newsletter for campus.
- Assist the Program Coordinator with the implementation of the Student Involvement Fair(s).
- Aid in the facilitation of the student organization renewal process.
- Develop resource material for student organizations, student leaders and faculty/staff advisors.
- Assist in the supervision and coordination of the Cinema USI program.
- Participate in all Student Development Programs staff meetings.
- Participate in one on one meetings with supervisor.
- Assist professional staff int he development of various programs, resources, or research as determined by departmental need.
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicant must currently be working towards a graduate degree at USI. Leadership experience with student organizations preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Professional (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Publisher).
- Ability to work with and relate to a diverse public required.
- Strong organizational, time management and written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple demands in a setting of high student contract and interaction required.
- Must possess critical thinking skills and ability to understand and communicate university policies.
Frequent irregular or extended hours, including evening and weekends, may be necessary to complete departmental deadlines or during special programs and events. Local travel may be required.
Appointment Start Date: A.S.A.P
For more information, please contact Ms. Jennifer Garrison.
Posted on 03/28/2018
Research/Instructional Support: Career Counseling at the University of Southern Indiana seeks a Graduate Assistant for a career office serving over 9,000 undergraduate students who are exploring their career path.
Upon completion of training, primary responsibility is to provide career counseling to students and working with assessments. Additional responsibilities will include developing and presenting a variety of career programs and seminars as well as other duties befitting applicant’s specific areas of interest within the field of Career Services.
Primary duties include:
- One-on-one career advising with a student: assist with job awareness process, values clarification, and use of career exploration tools/assessments
- Promote and be able to instruct students on how to use online career resources
- Researching trends in the areas of career services, and retention for future use within departmental programming
- Analyze data from UNIV 101 assessments
- Assist in the management of social media accounts for UD and Career Counseling
- Present on career-related topics for UNIV 101
- Co-teach sections of the Career Planning classes and grade assignments
- Actively participate in on-going professional development and weekly staff meetings
Applicant must currently be working towards a graduate degree at USI.
Skills|Knowledge|Abilities: Candidate must demonstrate the ability to build rapport with students and possess strong interpersonal and written communication skills. The ability to take initiative in completing tasks and creating new programs is also desired.
Appointment Start Date: August 13, 2018
Application Deadline: April 20, 2018
For more information, please contact Mrs. Erica Hooker.